Friday, August 16, 2019

Five-Minute Friday again: Hospitality

This post is part of the Five-Minute Friday link-up :)

Today's prompt is: Hospitality



I'm feeling poetical today so here goes:


My little car chugs up the steep hill to the gate
Open for us, waiting
I walk up the familiar crumbling driveway
past the old green VW Beetle
Inside the door and into a room as familiar as home
I know all the pictures on the wall
The little sculptures on the shelves
I know the fringed tablecloth and the comfy old couch
I know the blue bathroom and the photos on the fridge
In all its wood-panelled old-fashioned glory
Your home feels like home to me

There is warmth in the busy kitchen
Steaming from the pots of chicken soup
There is love in the wooden bowls of crusty rolls
The glass jugs of sweet juice
The endless mugs of tea
You open your home
It is full of all of us
Its welcome does not discriminate

Years of meetings, workshops, bible studies
Years of lunches, dinners, planning days
Have made this house more than your family home
It is an extension of the church building down the road
It is a home for lost hearts
For searching minds
It is a picture of your humility

Through your open door
Through your open hearts
God has loved me.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kate, what a beautiful journey with words leading us right to His feet. I write poetry too. Glad to connect here in the blogging world, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello FMF neighbor. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts here on this dear topic. I love how you say "it is the extension of the church building down the road". That is who we all are... especially as it comes to sharing hospitality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful post. It reminds me of a special place. A familiar place and a very special person in my life. I think I will visit her this week!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, this is lovely. I wish people would see my home this way.

    Actually...abandoned and abused ogs do, because they keep showing up here.

    And somehow, there's always room for one more.

    #1 at FMF this week.

    https://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2019/08/your-dying-spouse-659-say-what-fmf.html

    ReplyDelete